GSBA Vision & Mission

MISSION: To combine business development, leadership and social action to expand economic opportunities for the LGBT Community and those who support equality for all.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

2012 GSBA Slate of New Board Members

2012 GSBA Slate of New Board Members:
Stephanie Dallas
Elaine DuCharme
Lori Friedt
Kevin Gaspari
Jeff Kinney
Lillian McDonell
Drew Ness
Kevin Simison

Stephanie Dallas
I am a Vice President, Financial Advisor and Senior Consultant with Morgan Stanley where I have practiced financial planning and investing for clients for over 27 years. I have been an active member of GSBA since 2008.  During this time, I’ve grown increasingly passionate about the effect GSBA is having on our community in terms of positive economic outcome, policy and social action, scholarships for future leaders and a greater visibility in the Northwest community.  The rising influence of GSBA in the broader political and social fabric of our region is exciting, and has inspired me to become progressively more involved by attending many of the GSBA-sponsored events and serving on the GSBA tax policy task force.  I am also continually impressed by all the extraordinary people involved with the GSBA organization.

As an enormous fan of the GSBA, I will bring to the table my enthusiasm for the mission of GSBA, as well as the diverse and in-depth experience gained from my 27 years as a financial professional in Seattle.  I will also serve as a strong voice for the values and goals of GSBA among my social and business contacts, and will work to procure resources for the benefit of the organization.

Elaine G. DuCharme
I am a sole practitioner having practiced law for almost 30 years. I received my J.D. in law from the University of Washington in 1982 and my B.S.W. in Social Work in 1976. I was an Adjunct Professor at Seattle University Law School. I have presented at many community forums and professional organizations and King County Bar Association and Washington State Bar Association CLE’s on legal issues relating to the LGBT Community, including estate planning and probate, the Registered Domestic Partnership Law (and income-splitting), domestic partnership agreements, family law, and dissolution.

I have previously served on the Board of Directors for GSBA, Lifelong Aids Alliance, Pioneer Human Services, and North Seattle Youth Services and have provided many hours of pro bono legal services for various community non-profit organizations, including Volunteer Attorneys for Persons with Aids and the Low Income Referral Panel with the Seattle-King County Bar Association.

I have been a member of GSBA for almost 20 years.  I scaled back my involvement with GSBA and my other board commitments when my partner and I adopted my daughter (now 11 years old) from China.

Lori Friedt
I have been a west coast resident for my entire life.  I made Seattle my home in 1989 and am currently residing in Kirkland

Prior to my son’s birth, I served on the LRC board for a year.  I was invited to serve on the Seafair board in 2009 after 2 years of employment and a number of years as a volunteer in many capacities.  During 2010, my timeshare organization invited me to serve on their board as treasurer

My involvement with GSBA dates back to the early nineties as I began to establish my private tax practice.  Once my son was born, I jumped back into the corporate world and let my practice grow organically.  Eighteen years later, I am ready to resume my independent career.  Last June, I re-engaged with GSBA as a volunteer and was invited to join the finance committee meetings. 

Working for or with non-profits for the past 20 years has provided me with a deep understanding of their challenges and successes.  As a volunteer or board member, I have dedicated my business management and accounting expertise to LRC, GSBA, Seafair, and Whistler Vacation Club.  As an employee, Seafair and One Reel/Teatro ZinZanni exposed me to the nuances of non-profit accounting and finance.

Kevin Gaspari
I am a long time Seattle resident and graduate of Seattle University. I am currently a Broker at Windermere Real Estate Northwest since 1999. I am also the managing partner for two property management companies, KAK & DAK Properties LLC. I have been a GSBA member for many years and was on a committee in 2008-2009 focusing on raising additional funds through home parties and events and membership development. I am excited to connect back with the GSBA and my goal is to help spread the mission of the GSBA by networking and marketing the GSBA “brand” and what it does for our community. In addition, I would like to support the membership development group by creating new memberships as well as retaining current members.
My husband and I are Emerald Slipper members and are active members and supporters of Three Dollar Bill Cinema, HRC and the GSBA.

Jeff Kinney
I am a transportation planner with a degree in civil engineering and 12 years of experience working on many aspects of public projects. I bring an understanding of public-policy and technical issues associated with transportation and land-use, as well as skills in project management and communication. I am currently a senior engineer at Parametrix, Inc., the largest multi-disciplinary engineering and environmental planning firm headquartered in the Puget Sound area. My experience is related to major highway transportation projects.

I place an importance on community, through regular involvement in civic and professional organizations. As a member of the GSBA, I volunteer and support for the GSBA Scholarship Fund, in addition to working on the LGBT civic center initiative. I am also a member and past volunteer for the Human Rights Campaign. Professionally, I am a member of the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) and the Project Management Institute (PMI).

Lillian McDonell
I would be honored to serve on the board of directors of the GSBA. I am currently the managing partner of a Seattle CPA firm which provides audit and tax services to nonprofit organizations, individuals and small businesses. I have over 20 years’ experience in accounting and financial management, including eight years as the finance director of a nonprofit organization, and have served on several LGBT boards. With this background, I hope to provide guidance regarding best practices in financial management including internal control, budgeting and more complex accounting and tax issues, as well to contribute to strategic decisions, oversight of operations, and event success.

I am very enthusiastic about the organization’s four pillars: business development, advocacy, community and philanthropy. These are a synthesis of what we all need as individuals and as a community – to survive, to thrive, to connect with others, and to pass it on. GSBA is at the heart and soul of the community, and I would be honored to be part of and contribute to its ongoing success.

Drew Ness
I am the Chief Operating Officer of 1st Security Bank. I have been in the banking industry for many years starting at Seafirst. I am interested in helping start a north end GSBA networking group and have a commitment to increase membership and revenue development.

I love talking about GSBA and networking! My biggest thrill is, not to “sell” something, but to connect people that need something the other has. I also think that by promoting LGBT and Allied businesses, it helps even those individuals that are NOT Allied to realize that the LGBT dollar cannot be ignored or dismissed, that it IS a dollar, and that a LGBT/Allied dollar is “legal tender” when they deposit that money in their bank the same as a non-LGBT/Allied dollar. And, affecting non-Allied folks in their pocketbook may make a bigger impact in swinging their “personal philosophy” to be more accepting than any other way.
I want to help in whatever way I can to support and strengthen the four pillars of the GSBA: Business, Community, Advocacy, and Philanthropy.

Kevin Simison
I am a new hire with Ernst & Young in the Audit/Assurance practice. I serve a wide variety of clients in the health care, manufacturing and consumer products industries. I am very proud of my employer's commitment to diversity & inclusion. I am a graduate, cum laude of Pacific Lutheran University with a Bachelors of Business Administration, three time Pride Foundation scholarship recipient and a four time GSBA scholarship recipient. In my free time I enjoy visiting family, skiing (both water and snow) and ballroom dancing. I look forward to integrating my experience as a GSBA scholarship recipient into the Board’s commitment to education, LGBTA advancement and community involvement. I have many talents but see my high energy, strong work ethic and commitment to the success of the GSBA as my most prized assets.


Thank you to our outgoing GSBA Board members for your years of service



Amy Burdick, Seattle University Athletics Served 2006-2011

Kristine Messick, Crow's Nest Home Inspections, LLC Served 2006-2011

Victoria Odell, Seattle Swirl: Served 2011

Kirsten Weiss, Safeco Insurance: Served 2005-2011

John Wong, LPL Financial Services: Served 2001-2011

No comments: